Diesel fuel is toxic, said Dalyn Erickson, wildlife specialist at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Northern Utah. It can cause severe skin irritation issues and respiratory issues.
Both beavers had two baths as of Tuesday evening and started medications to help coat their intestinal tracts in an attempt to prevent further damage to the tract and help pass ingested fuel more easily. They are also giving the beavers preventative medication for treating respiratory infections.
At this point, the beavers seem to be doing well, Erickson said, but it could be weeks before resperatory and intestinal issues are evident.
The fumes clinging onto the beavers were so strong that many of the 15 volunteers working on the beavers Tuesday had headaches.
"It's so overpowering that it's unreal," Erickson said.
Depending on the severity of the spill, the youngsters — not even a year old — will either be reintroduced to the bay or the rehabilitation center will work with the Division of Wildlife Services to find them a new home.
Loyola said James Morgan, Willard Bay State Park manager, "is working with Chevron, the Weber Basin Water Conservancy District, Bureau of Reclamation, and Division of Wildlife Resources to ensure the protection of all resources, including wildlife habitat."
Updated information on the park is available at stateparks.utah.gov/parks/willard-bay.
Contributing: Sandra Yi and Shara Park
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23