Diesel spill closes marina at Willard Bay State Park, shuts down pipeline
Diesel fuel is toxic, said Dalyn Erickson, wildlife specialist at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Northern Utah. It can cause severe skin irritation issues and respiratory issues.
Both beavers had two baths as of Tuesday evening and started medications to help coat their intestinal tracts in an attempt to prevent further damage to the tract and help pass ingested fuel more easily. They are also giving the beavers preventative medication for treating respiratory infections.
At this point, the beavers seem to be doing well, Erickson said, but it could be weeks before resperatory and intestinal issues are evident.
The fumes clinging onto the beavers were so strong that many of the 15 volunteers working on the beavers Tuesday had headaches.
"It's so overpowering that it's unreal," Erickson said.
Depending on the severity of the spill, the youngsters — not even a year old — will either be reintroduced to the bay or the rehabilitation center will work with the Division of Wildlife Services to find them a new home.
Loyola said James Morgan, Willard Bay State Park manager, "is working with Chevron, the Weber Basin Water Conservancy District, Bureau of Reclamation, and Division of Wildlife Resources to ensure the protection of all resources, including wildlife habitat."
Updated information on the park is available at stateparks.utah.gov/parks/willard-bay.
Contributing: Sandra Yi and Shara Park
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8