Diesel spill closes marina at Willard Bay State Park, shuts down pipeline
Diesel fuel is toxic, said Dalyn Erickson, wildlife specialist at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Northern Utah. It can cause severe skin irritation issues and respiratory issues.
Both beavers had two baths as of Tuesday evening and started medications to help coat their intestinal tracts in an attempt to prevent further damage to the tract and help pass ingested fuel more easily. They are also giving the beavers preventative medication for treating respiratory infections.
At this point, the beavers seem to be doing well, Erickson said, but it could be weeks before resperatory and intestinal issues are evident.
The fumes clinging onto the beavers were so strong that many of the 15 volunteers working on the beavers Tuesday had headaches.
"It's so overpowering that it's unreal," Erickson said.
Depending on the severity of the spill, the youngsters — not even a year old — will either be reintroduced to the bay or the rehabilitation center will work with the Division of Wildlife Services to find them a new home.
Loyola said James Morgan, Willard Bay State Park manager, "is working with Chevron, the Weber Basin Water Conservancy District, Bureau of Reclamation, and Division of Wildlife Resources to ensure the protection of all resources, including wildlife habitat."
Updated information on the park is available at stateparks.utah.gov/parks/willard-bay.
Contributing: Sandra Yi and Shara Park
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor young...
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Mother of slain baby to serve 90 days in jail
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 64
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor... 17