Diesel spill closes marina at Willard Bay State Park, shuts down pipeline
Diesel fuel is toxic, said Dalyn Erickson, wildlife specialist at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Northern Utah. It can cause severe skin irritation issues and respiratory issues.
Both beavers had two baths as of Tuesday evening and started medications to help coat their intestinal tracts in an attempt to prevent further damage to the tract and help pass ingested fuel more easily. They are also giving the beavers preventative medication for treating respiratory infections.
At this point, the beavers seem to be doing well, Erickson said, but it could be weeks before resperatory and intestinal issues are evident.
The fumes clinging onto the beavers were so strong that many of the 15 volunteers working on the beavers Tuesday had headaches.
"It's so overpowering that it's unreal," Erickson said.
Depending on the severity of the spill, the youngsters — not even a year old — will either be reintroduced to the bay or the rehabilitation center will work with the Division of Wildlife Services to find them a new home.
Loyola said James Morgan, Willard Bay State Park manager, "is working with Chevron, the Weber Basin Water Conservancy District, Bureau of Reclamation, and Division of Wildlife Resources to ensure the protection of all resources, including wildlife habitat."
Updated information on the park is available at stateparks.utah.gov/parks/willard-bay.
Contributing: Sandra Yi and Shara Park
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Fire rips through Draper garage during...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Three Salt Lake City golf courses slated for...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15