PARK CITY — The Winter Sports School's board of trustees has named Dave Kaufman as head of school.
Kaufman, who currently serves as assistant head of school, will be taking over for Rob Clayton, who recently accepted the position of executive director at the Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation.
The Winter Sports School recently launched an initiative to become a Utah charter.
"We've cleared the first hurdle," Kaufman said. "We've been recommended for approval by the Utah State Charter Board. We're now working toward final approval by the Utah State Office of Education in early April, and then raising the funds necessary to build a new facility capable of meeting our anticipated growth as a tuition-free state school."
Kaufman has been with the Winter Sports School for the past five years. He was a marketing manager at Intel Corp. in Santa Clara, Calif., for 10 years prior to that.
The Winter Sports School will begin its 20th year of classes on April 15. The school provides a college preparatory academic program for grades nine through 12. Classes are held mid-April through mid-November, giving students time during winter months to train and compete in winter sports disciplines.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 54
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 11