From enchanting music to a compelling storyline, "The Magic Flute" didn’t disappoint audience members at Utah Opera's opening-night performance March 16.
After meeting the main character Tamino (Robert Breault), the audience is taken on a journey to rescue his true love, Pamina, from Sarastro's temple.
Both Tamino and Pamina (Anya Matanovic) face hardships, putting their love for one another to the ultimate test. It isn't until they are able to overcome those hardships that they realize their trials made their love stronger and worth fighting for.
There's also Papageno (Danny Belcher), who like Tamino yearns to find a wife. Papageno's sense of humor kept the audience entertained throughout the performance. As Papageno finds his match in Papagena (Amy Owens), it's interesting to see what love can do to two people who are crazy about one another.
"The Magic Flute" is a classic love story told over and over again that reminds us of what truly matters most in our lives. It's also hard not to be amazed by the colorful costumes and decorations, making the performance even more appealing.
The music is beautiful and shows Mozart at his best. Although the songs were sung in German, there are English subtitles for audience members to follow along.
Remaining performances of "The Magic Flute" will be held on March 22 and 23 at 7:30 p.m. and at 2 p.m. on March 24 at the Capitol Theatre. To see ticket availability, visit utahopera.org or call 801-355-2787.
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, receiving a bachelor's degree in communications.
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for family...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Netflix has a different take on modern...
- Tabernacle hosts annual LDS Latino Christmas...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- 4 recently released LDS picture books
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 15
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 12
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 12
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 8
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 6
- Faith sustained author through... 5