ST. GEORGE, Utah - Freshman Lea Garner shot six-over-par to lead BYU to a third place standing after day one of the BYU at Entrada Classic Monday.
The Cougars' opening round 292 (+4) was their best round of the season and stands as the current low round of the tournament. They shot a second round 315 (+27) to finish the tournament at 31-over-par through 36 holes.
"It was a really fun morning," BYU head coach Carrie Roberts said. "Overall it was a positive day and hopefully we can feed off that tomorrow."
No. 44 Wisconsin shot 589 (+13) through 36 holes and stands in first place, 11 strokes ahead of second place Minnesota (+24) and 18 strokes ahead of BYU (+31).
Garner shot a first round 69 (-3), her best of the season. She made four birdies during the opening round to become the only player to break 70 during the first two rounds. In the second round, Garner finished with a nine-over-par 81. She currently stands tied for ninth place at six-over-par.
"Lea made a lot of good putts and hit it great," Roberts said. "It was just a matter of time until she put a really good round together. Hopefully she can put another one together tomorrow."
Senior Amanda Keith had a strong outing for the Cougars during the first two rounds. Keith finished the opening round with three birdies and shot an even-par 72. During the second round she shot an 80 (+8), making birdie on holes 11 and 15. Keith sits in 15th place on the individual leaderboard at eight-over-par.
Junior Annika Kahaiali'i shot an opening round 79 (+7) followed by a second round 76 (+4). She finished the day with three birdies and is tied for 25th in the individual standings.
Junior Selu Fotu had a consistent day for the Cougars, shooting back-to-back rounds of 78. She currently stands tied for 32nd at 12-over-par. Rounding out the lineup, Lauren Atkinson had a solid opening round shooting a one-over-par 73. She finished the day at 13-over-par tied for 35th on the individual leaderboard.
Live stats of Tuesday's third and final round from the Entrada at Snow Canyon can be followed at golfstat.com.
T9 Lea Garner 69, 81, +6
15 Amanda Keith 72, 80, +8
T25 Annika Kahaiali'i 79, 76, +11
T32 Selu Fotu 78, 78, +12
T35 Lauren Atkinson 73, 84, +13
T77 *Gabby Gregory 87, 85, +28
1 Wisconsin +13
2 Minnesota +24
3 BYU +31
4 CSU Fullerton +32
5 Nevada +36
6 North Texas +40
T7 Boise State +47
T7 Wyoming +47
9 Oral Roberts +52
10 Montana +55
11 New Mexico State +56
12 Utah Valley +58
13 Weber State +62
14 Southern Utah +67
15 Dixie State College +75
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 108
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43