LAS VEGAS — Scoring in seven of nine innings Monday afternoon, a hot UNLV squad defeated BYU’s baseball team, 10-3.
The Cougars (9-11) could not stop the consistent attack of UNLV (16-5) in the first meeting between the two teams since 2011 when both were members of the Mountain West Conference.
The lone scoring inning Monday for BYU was in the third when Adam Law smacked a two-out double to right-center field. Law's two-bagger cleared the bases and brought home three Cougars, after UNLV scored pairs of runs in the first and second frames.
Law was one of four Cougars to extend hitting streaks, having hit safely in four consecutive games. Also extending to four-game streaks were Bret Lopez, who doubled in the fourth, and Jarrett Jarvis, who singled in the third. Kelton Caldwell extended his hitting streak to three games when he led off the third inning with a single.
"The score could have been 20-3,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “I felt we weren’t ready to play.
“We didn’t show maturity. We need to have a short memory. We took one step back right now. We have to get ready in one day for Kansas. We’ll get back in a routine of going to class, it will help.”
The Cougars next play on Wednesday evening to start a four-game non-conference series with Kansas in Provo.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Brad Rock: Utah quarterback Travis Wilson...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 105
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 41
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 26