LAS VEGAS — Scoring in seven of nine innings Monday afternoon, a hot UNLV squad defeated BYU’s baseball team, 10-3.
The Cougars (9-11) could not stop the consistent attack of UNLV (16-5) in the first meeting between the two teams since 2011 when both were members of the Mountain West Conference.
The lone scoring inning Monday for BYU was in the third when Adam Law smacked a two-out double to right-center field. Law's two-bagger cleared the bases and brought home three Cougars, after UNLV scored pairs of runs in the first and second frames.
Law was one of four Cougars to extend hitting streaks, having hit safely in four consecutive games. Also extending to four-game streaks were Bret Lopez, who doubled in the fourth, and Jarrett Jarvis, who singled in the third. Kelton Caldwell extended his hitting streak to three games when he led off the third inning with a single.
"The score could have been 20-3,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “I felt we weren’t ready to play.
“We didn’t show maturity. We need to have a short memory. We took one step back right now. We have to get ready in one day for Kansas. We’ll get back in a routine of going to class, it will help.”
The Cougars next play on Wednesday evening to start a four-game non-conference series with Kansas in Provo.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- 1A boys basketball tournament: roundup of...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Morning links: Jazz's sudden rise; SI breaks...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- The name game: pronouncing the names of the...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 74
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40