Former Carbon County sheriff's sergeant accused of stealing drugs from evidence locker
PRICE — A former Carbon County sheriff's sergeant is facing felony charges after prosecutors say he stole drugs from the evidence locker at the sheriff's office.
Christopher Howard Basso, a 13-year veteran of the sheriff's office, was charged Monday in 7th District Court with two counts of possession of a controlled substance, a second-degree felony, one count of burglary, a third-degree felony, and one count of tampering with evidence, a class A misdemeanor.
Basso, 37, was placed on paid administrative leave for a personnel issue in January, according to Carbon County Attorney Gene Strate.
While on leave, Basso entered the sheriff's office on several occasions "at odd hours of the evening" without authorization and accessed the evidence locker, the prosecutor said.
"We're alleging that he took some methamphetamine and a Schedule I or Schedule II drug. I think it was hydrocodone," Strate said.
The prescription medication was evidence in an active case, he said. Prosecutors are weighing whether that case will now have to be dismissed.
"We may have to do that," Strate said. "We're still looking into whether that case has been so compromised that we have to (dismiss it)."
Basso was fired from the sheriff's office Feb. 5. His first court appearance is set for April 15.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8