Former Carbon County sheriff's sergeant accused of stealing drugs from evidence locker
PRICE — A former Carbon County sheriff's sergeant is facing felony charges after prosecutors say he stole drugs from the evidence locker at the sheriff's office.
Christopher Howard Basso, a 13-year veteran of the sheriff's office, was charged Monday in 7th District Court with two counts of possession of a controlled substance, a second-degree felony, one count of burglary, a third-degree felony, and one count of tampering with evidence, a class A misdemeanor.
Basso, 37, was placed on paid administrative leave for a personnel issue in January, according to Carbon County Attorney Gene Strate.
While on leave, Basso entered the sheriff's office on several occasions "at odd hours of the evening" without authorization and accessed the evidence locker, the prosecutor said.
"We're alleging that he took some methamphetamine and a Schedule I or Schedule II drug. I think it was hydrocodone," Strate said.
The prescription medication was evidence in an active case, he said. Prosecutors are weighing whether that case will now have to be dismissed.
"We may have to do that," Strate said. "We're still looking into whether that case has been so compromised that we have to (dismiss it)."
Basso was fired from the sheriff's office Feb. 5. His first court appearance is set for April 15.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Outbreak of illness linked to Weber County...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 37
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 25
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 20