'I'm outta here!' Why 2 million Americans quit every month (and 5 steps to turn the epidemic around)
Trustworthiness does not happen overnight. Leaders earn it over time based on their positive personal attitudes, beliefs and behaviors toward others. Managers who are deserving of trust are dependable, reliable, honest, forthright, truthful and ethical. They care for people and exhibit an openness and transparency on all interpersonal relationship topics. All levels of employees are drawn to leaders who are genuine and honorable. These managers are beloved and praised. Conversely, employees flee when managers are unfair, lie, cheat, offend and deceive.
5. Leaders, recognize your people.
All employees like to be honored for their accomplishments. Feedback from management on job performance is not only instructive but rewarding. Telling workers their efforts are exemplary sends a clear message that they are valued and appreciated. When we are recognized for a job well done and in view of our peers, our job satisfaction and engagement levels are significantly increased. Once honored, we tend to be even more industrious. Genuine praise is a powerful motivator.
Do you recognize your own company or even yourself in these issues? If so, act quickly to turn this negative trend back around. If you don’t, both you and your company will be bearing the costs.
To see the full report on why 2 million Americans leave their jobs each month, visit the Grow America website.
The original version of this article appeared in Forbes.
You can contact me at @AskAlanEHall or via my personal website, www.AlanEHall.com.
Alan E. Hall is a co-founding managing director of Mercato Partners, a regionally focused growth capital investment firm. He founded Grow Utah Ventures, is the founder of MarketStar Corp. and is chairman of the Utah Technology Council.
- What's in a name? At Grand Canyon, history,...
- Are you part of the global 'baby shortage'?
- Faith leaders: your secret weapon in the...
- Another study lists Salt Lake as one of the...
- No-tip restaurant offers food for thought on...
- Nintendo opens 2015 with some big announcements
- Rocky Mountain Power offers energy-saving...
- Concerns over release of personal data from...
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Analysis: Obama seizes on recovery,... 17
- Obama's proposed mandatory paid... 13
- Utah has fourth largest gender wage... 12
- Another study lists Salt Lake as one of... 10
- Are you part of the global 'baby... 10
- Survey ranks Utah's best and worst... 9
- Obama pitches his economic plan to... 6