Utah State’s Christine Thomsen has been named the Western Athletic Conference Hitter of the Week, for March 11-17. This is the first-ever WAC weekly honor for Thomsen.
Thomsen, a senior infielder from Fresno, Calif., led the Aggies to their first wins of the season, as Utah State went 5-2 last week. She posted a .476 batting average, .619 slugging percentage and .560 on-base percentage over the seven games. Thomsen produced 10 hits in 21 at-bats, three of which were doubles, two RBIs and also walked four times. Her double in the bottom of the seventh inning against Portland State rallied Utah State past the Vikings after overcoming a five-run deficit in the seventh to send the game into extra innings. The Aggies eventually won the game 6-5.
USU will host its 2013 season opener against in-state rival Utah on Wednesday, March 20, with opening pitch set to be delivered at 4 p.m. (MT). The senior will also look to lead her Utah State squad this week as it prepares to open Western Athletic Conference play against San Jose State in a weekend three-game series.
The last time that USU earned the weekly WAC honor was when senior pitcher Mandy Harmon and junior infielder Allison Lenzora swept the award on May 2, 2011. Prior to that, the last time an Aggie earned the WAC Player of the Week honor was March 5, 2007, when Emily Reilly was named WAC Hitter of the Week. Reilly was the first Utah State player to earn hitter of the week from the WAC and just the second overall.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D1 history,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22