Today in Sports: Indiana defeats Kansas in 1953 NCAA Division I championship
In a repeat of the 1940 NCAA Divison I championship, Indiana defeated Kansas again in Kansas City on March 18, 1953, this time by the slimmest margin possible.
Indiana's star Don Schlundt did his job by racking up 30 points including nine of IU's 10 in the final period. But, Schlundt's showing was only enough to tie the game.
One final free throw by Bobby Leonard, only his second of the game, gave Indiana a one-point advantage. Kansas' last attempt rattled off the rim as the buzzer sounded, sealing Indiana's 69-68 victory for the title.
The game was a team affair for Indiana, with several players contributing on both the offensive and defensive ends. Players off the bench were forced to play well, as IU starters found themselves in early foul trouble.
Indiana came into the game ranked No. 1 and finished a dream season with NCAA glory.
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 27
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25