Jacquelyn Martin, AP
“The government of the United States has been emphatically termed a government of laws, and not of men,” wrote Chief Justice John Marshall in his famous decision in Marbury v. Madison. According to Katrina Vanden Heuvel, this statement is central to the American creed because it explains that citizens have rights protected by the due process of law.
“Yet last week Attorney General Eric Holder, speaking for the administration with an alarmingly casual nonchalance, traduced the whole notion of a nation of laws,” according to Heuvel.
Heuvel argues this is true because of two statements Holder made. First, Holder claimed that it is “possible to imagine” the president can claim power to authorize a lethal force, such as a drone strike, against a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil.
Second, Holder claimed before the Judiciary Committee that big banks were too large to jail. According to Andrew Ross Sorkin, “Holder blurted out what we’ve all known to be true but few inside the Obama administration have said aloud”: Big banks are in fact too big to jail. But this means that some institutions will not be held legally responsible because prosecuting them will have a negative impact on the national economy.
“Taken together, the attorney general’s astounding claims undermine the whole notion of a nation of laws,” claims Heuvel.
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and Swallow...
- My view: A global warming solution to grow...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Helping kids master what matters: Emotions,...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- Letter: Degrading literature
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 63
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 48
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35
- The complicated political views of... 33
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and... 28