Dust settles on legislative session but Utah land war continues
“We know we can either act now for pennies on the dollar to mitigate the risk, or wait around for the destruction because of the federal mismanagement and it will cost dozens of millions of dollars. “
Ivory has been the legislative architect behind much of Utah’s latest iteration of the Sagebrush Rebellion, with the majority of his Republican colleagues lining up in support.
Republican Sen. Aaron Osmond from West Jordan, for example, ran a resolution echoing the demands of Ivory’s Transfer of Public Lands Act, which passed last year and demands the federal government cede title of much of the lands it controls within Utah. A financial assessment of taking that on and what revenues may generate will now be carried out under the direction of the Governor’s Public Lands Policy Coordination Office, which is to report on the findings by November of 2014.
This session, Ivory followed up with the Constitutional and Federalism Defense Act, which establishes a legislative Federalism Commission to help Utah coordinate with other states in its quest to seek “balance” in its relationship with the federal government.
“I think the theme is that we have to begin to understand what our jurisdiction is and what their jurisdiction is and restore balance in that governing partnership,” Ivory said. “We do have to step up and act like grown ups…. Jurisdiction that we don’t exercise is no better for our citizens that jurisdiction that we don’t have.”
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 24
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 20
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15