SANDY — A five-car pile-up and numerous other crashes on I-15 snarled traffic for a time on Saturday, but resulted in just two serious injuries. The crashes happened between 8900 South and 11400 South just after 2:30 p.m., according to Joe Dougherty with the Department of Public Safety.
A five-vehicle crash occurred at 9800 South when a car rear-ended another vehicle, which then struck a pickup truck that was hauling a trailer carrying car parts. The truck swerved to the right and hit another car, leaving two occupants injured.
The truck then went through a fence on the right side of the road and collided with a vehicle traveling southbound on the frontage road. The injured victims were transported by ambulance to a local hospital, with one person in serious and the other in fair condition.
Two other crashes occurred around the same period, one in the northbound lanes, the other in the southbound lanes. No major injuries were reported.
A fourth crash reported around 4 p.m. was DUI-related, Dougherty said. Traffic was delayed in both directions as crews cleared the crash sites.
“It's things like that that remind us that we need to be safer on the roads," he said. "We need to plan ahead. We just need to be better and take care of our fellow motorists out there."
He said that was why the Utah Highway Patrol was conducting a DUI blitz over the St. Patrick's Day weekend.
"As long as people are responsible, everyone is going to come home okay," he said. "All those parties and things that go on, no one wants to stop anyone's fun, as long as they're just remembering they have a responsibility, too."
- Business community supports tax increases for...
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- After setting iPhone record, what does Apple...
- Young adults prefer to share chores and...
- Balancing act: Organizations slowly move...
- Index indicates Utah economy thriving
- Michelle Singletary: Making personal finance...
- Dave Ramsey says: Make changes to save money
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Business community supports tax... 18
- Utah has fourth largest gender wage... 12
- Greek radical left wins election,... 3
- Knocking doors: What to know before... 3
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 2
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 2
- Faith leaders: your secret weapon in... 2