SANDY — A five-car pile-up and numerous other crashes on I-15 snarled traffic for a time on Saturday, but resulted in just two serious injuries. The crashes happened between 8900 South and 11400 South just after 2:30 p.m., according to Joe Dougherty with the Department of Public Safety.
A five-vehicle crash occurred at 9800 South when a car rear-ended another vehicle, which then struck a pickup truck that was hauling a trailer carrying car parts. The truck swerved to the right and hit another car, leaving two occupants injured.
The truck then went through a fence on the right side of the road and collided with a vehicle traveling southbound on the frontage road. The injured victims were transported by ambulance to a local hospital, with one person in serious and the other in fair condition.
Two other crashes occurred around the same period, one in the northbound lanes, the other in the southbound lanes. No major injuries were reported.
A fourth crash reported around 4 p.m. was DUI-related, Dougherty said. Traffic was delayed in both directions as crews cleared the crash sites.
“It's things like that that remind us that we need to be safer on the roads," he said. "We need to plan ahead. We just need to be better and take care of our fellow motorists out there."
He said that was why the Utah Highway Patrol was conducting a DUI blitz over the St. Patrick's Day weekend.
"As long as people are responsible, everyone is going to come home okay," he said. "All those parties and things that go on, no one wants to stop anyone's fun, as long as they're just remembering they have a responsibility, too."
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- Google taking steps toward robot creation
- DeseretNews.com reaches page view milestone;...
- 4 charged in year-long copper thefts at Utah...
- 'Intern Queen' to share advice on college...
- Green energy option in Logan points to a need...
- Children's museum celebrates 35 years of play
- Obama declares health care law is... 21
- Intermountain Healthcare offering... 15
- Start thinking about retirement while... 7
- Amazon's latest idea may make online... 6
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday... 5
- About Utah: A cheesy way to save the farm 4
- DeseretNews.com reaches page view... 4
- Collecting online sales tax puts Utah... 3