SANDY — A five-car pile-up and numerous other crashes on I-15 snarled traffic for a time on Saturday, but resulted in just two serious injuries. The crashes happened between 8900 South and 11400 South just after 2:30 p.m., according to Joe Dougherty with the Department of Public Safety.
A five-vehicle crash occurred at 9800 South when a car rear-ended another vehicle, which then struck a pickup truck that was hauling a trailer carrying car parts. The truck swerved to the right and hit another car, leaving two occupants injured.
The truck then went through a fence on the right side of the road and collided with a vehicle traveling southbound on the frontage road. The injured victims were transported by ambulance to a local hospital, with one person in serious and the other in fair condition.
Two other crashes occurred around the same period, one in the northbound lanes, the other in the southbound lanes. No major injuries were reported.
A fourth crash reported around 4 p.m. was DUI-related, Dougherty said. Traffic was delayed in both directions as crews cleared the crash sites.
“It's things like that that remind us that we need to be safer on the roads," he said. "We need to plan ahead. We just need to be better and take care of our fellow motorists out there."
He said that was why the Utah Highway Patrol was conducting a DUI blitz over the St. Patrick's Day weekend.
"As long as people are responsible, everyone is going to come home okay," he said. "All those parties and things that go on, no one wants to stop anyone's fun, as long as they're just remembering they have a responsibility, too."
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- How much money should you be saving from each...
- Airline industry is least liked industries in...
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- Why do only half of Americans invest in stocks?
- University of Utah commits to buying more...
- Did you file your taxes jointly or...
- Leadership touted at governor's economic summit
- Happiness research inspired one... 13
- EnergySolutions shouldn't store uranium... 8
- Why do only half of Americans invest in... 5
- Contact lens makers sue Utah over... 4
- Airline industry is least liked... 4
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 4
- University of Utah commits to buying... 3
- Leadership touted at governor's... 3