BYU track: Bringhurst, John with second-place finishes at Aztec Invitational
San Diego -The BYU men’s track and field team wrapped up its final day of competition at the Aztec Invitational with 12 top-10 finishes, including second-place finishes by Braydon Bringhurst and Dakoda John.
“We had some good things going for us today,” head coach Mark Robison said. “We’re trying to learn and grow and get some good experience, and I think we accomplished those things this weekend.”
Bringhurst earned second place overall in the pole vault with a mark of 16-07.50, the highest mark in his flight. On Friday night in the open pole vault category, Bringhurst tied for first place overall with a mark of 16-03.50.
Three other Cougars had top-10 finishes in Saturday’s pole vault competition. Senior Victor Weirich took second in his flight and fourth overall with a height of 16-03.50. Sophomore Kyle Brown and junior Tyler Brown tied for seventh place overall, each clearing 15-09.75.
In the high jump, John finished in second with a high mark of 7-00.50. Freshman Sam Rockwood took fourth overall in the event, clearing 6-10.75. Both John and Rockwood set new personal outdoor records with their jumps on Saturday.
To finish off the jumping events, freshman John Glazier took sixth in the long jump with a mark of 22-01.50.
BYU’s 4x100-meter relay team of Justin Hedin, Bejon Bryant, Jacob Arslanian and Fan Fan Charles took fourth overall with a time of 41.66. Bryant also competed in the 110-meter hurdles, taking 16th place with a time of 15.56.
Hedin also raced in the 800-meter run and took sixth place with a time of 1:53.54. Freshman Jonathan Brown took eighth in the 800 meters, finishing in 1:53.80.
The Cougars will head back to southern California next week to compete at the USC Invitational.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Detroit Lions pick up fifth-year option on...
- Mike Sorensen: These awful NBA free-throw...
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 93
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 76
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 65
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 36
- Utah baseball team surprisingly leads... 31
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 29
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 28
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 21