Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Trying to steal back a playoff berth, the Jazz took a big step with a big win over the Memphis Grizzlies.
Utah led by 11 with three minutes remaining, but an 8-0 run from reserve guard Jerryd Bayless narrowed the gap to just three. A Bayless turnover gave Utah the ball with 38 seconds remaining, and the Jazz found Gordon Hayward for a wide-open 3-pointer to help seal the win.
The Jazz, losers of six of their previous seven games, were one game out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference heading into Saturday night's game against a Memphis team that had won 14 of its last 16 games.
Hoping for a shift in momentum, head coach Tyrone Corbin inserted Gordon Hayward into the starting lineup for DeMarre Carroll. The third-year guard responded with a team-high 17 points to go along with eight rebounds and three assists
Corbin made another adjustment in the final stages of the game, going with a big lineup of Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap and Derrick Favors. All three, along with Hayward and guard Mo Williams, finished in double figures.
Check back for the complete game story with post game quotes from Jazz players and coaches.
More Jazz coverage
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- Prognosticating, for fun, a bright BYU...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 102
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 69
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 55
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34