MORAGA, Calif. — Ben Griset shut out Utah Valley, 3-0, Saturday afternoon Louis Guisto Field as Saint Mary's took the second game of the weekend series over the Wolverines (8-11). UVU will look to bounce back and take the series on Sunday when the three-game set wraps up at 2 p.m. MT.
Griset struck out 12 and went the distance on the mound for the Gaels (6-13). The SMC lefty scattered five hits and walked just one en route to his first victory of the season (1-1).
UVU starter Ty Hansen also pitched well in the game as he gave up just two runs on five hits, while striking out three in six innings of work. Hansen was the tough-luck loser in the game, however, as the southpaw dropped to 1-2 on the season.
"Griset did a great job on the mound for Saint Mary's today," UVU head coach Eric Madsen said. "Our pitchers were also good but we've just got to find a way to scratch out some runs."
Saint Mary's jumped out to a 2-0 lead thanks to lead-off doubles from Anthony Gonsolin and RBIs from Brenden Kalfus in each of the first and the third innings.
With the game still 2-0, the Wolverines had chances to score in the fifth and the sixth innings. UVU got two men into scoring position in each frame, but Griset managed to pitch out of each jam unscathed.
The Gaels later tacked on an eighth-inning insurance run, and Griset managed to strand another UVU base runner on third in the ninth to record the complete game shutout.
In all, the Wolverines left eight base runners on in the contest.
Offensively, five Wolverines finished with a hit apiece. Freshman Greyson Bogden picked up his first collegiate hit with a triple to straight away center in his first at-bat of the game in the second inning, and junior Colby Croft also added a double down the left-field line in the sixth for Utah Valley.
Gonsolin led the Gaels by going 2-for-4 with two doubles.
Following the finale on Sunday, UVU will come back to Utah to face the University of Utah on Tuesday, March 19, at Spring Mobile Ballpark in Salt Lake City.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 32
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 17
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 16