Ravell Call, Deseret News
PROVO — The BYU basketball team is expected to receive a National Invitation Tournament bid Sunday.
After NCAA tournament berths are announced Sunday afternoon, the NIT will unveil its selections (7 p.m., MT, ESPNU).
Several NIT bracketologists project the Cougars (21-11) as a No. 4, No. 5 or No. 6 seed in the tournament. BYU could host a first-round game.
The Cougars finished with a 3-5 record in their final eight games.
Any regular-season champion of a Division I conference not selected to the NCAA tournament earns an automatic bid to the NIT. The NIT selection committee then chooses the best available teams to create the 32-team field. Once selected, teams are seeded and placed into one of four eight-team regions.
The first three rounds are hosted at campus sites of participating teams. First-round games will be held March 19-20. Second round games will be staged from March 21-25 while quarterfinal games will be played March 26-27.
The NIT Final Four will be staged at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The semifinals are April 2, with the championship scheduled for April 4.
BYU hasn't played in the NIT since 2006, in coach Dave Rose's inaugural season at the helm of the program. The Cougars have played in the NCAA tournament in each of the past six years.
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22