UVU softball: Wolverines split in final day at Rebel Spring Games
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Utah Valley University ran its win streak to eight games with a 5-4 victory over Rider on Saturday morning, but closed its eight-game stretch at the Rebel Spring Games with a 1-0 loss to Columbia in game two.
Pitcher Josi Summers pitched a one-hitter and didn't allow an earned run but was nonetheless saddled with the loss against the Lions. UVU (13-9) outhit Columbia seven to one but left 11 runners stranded in the narrow defeat. The Lions' lone run came courtesy of a two-out throwing error by the Wolverines, allowing a base runner on second to come around for the game's only score.
"Obviously Josi threw well enough to win, our hitting just didn't come through when we needed it to," Wolverine head coach Rachel Hartgrove said. "It's just a matter of finishing games strong as Rider gave us a good scare earlier in the day as well. All in all, I'm proud of the way the girls performed this week. Even though we wanted to leave here with all eight wins, taking seven of eight is a pretty good week."
In the day's first game, UVU benefited from a four-run bottom of the fifth to pull out in front of Rider. Shortstop Krystin Jachim came through with the big hit in the inning for UVU, lifting a three-run home run over the left field wall to make the advantage 5-1.
The big blast capped a huge week for Jachim, who finished with a team-high .560 batting average, nine RBIs and .760 slugging percentage.
The Broncs got a two-out, three-run home run of their own in the top of the seventh to keep the score line tight, but it was too little too late as pitcher Cassie Herrera shut the door to seal the complete game win.
After playing its last 11 contests on the road, Utah Valley returns to Orem for its final non-conference tune-up. The Red Foxes of Marist visit Wolverine Field on Wednesday at 3 p.m. before UVU opens Pacific Coast Softball Conference play at Saint Mary's the following Saturday.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 25