BYU track: Yingling and Hilton lead Cougars in first day of Aztec Invitational
“This was an excellent opener for Sarah and Jessica,” BYU head coach Patrick Shane said. “It was exciting to see them run so well. We only competed in a few events tonight, several throwing events and the pole vault, but the 1,500 stands out the most for us.”
Yingling finished one second off her personal best that she ran before her mission. Throughout most of the race Yingling ran head to head with a UCLA runner but pulled away with 200 meters to go for the win.
Hilton also came from behind to finish third. During the last leg of the race, Hilton passed another UCLA runner. Hilton’s time is a new personal record by nine seconds.
The Cougars continue competition in the final day of the invitational on Saturday.
Full results from the first day of competition can be found at FlashWest.com.
Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30