Utah Utes gymnastics: Tory Wilson stepped up when the Utes needed her most
“When Corrie went down, that opened a couple of places up for her,” Marsden said. “She really took it up a notch. She learned a new bar routine and has really taken advantage of the opportunities of being out there and competing.”
Part of that, Marsden said, is just her personality.
“I think she really helps to keep things positive,” he said. “She helps people remember that this is supposed to be fun.”
Her teammates say Wilson’s success has been the highlight of the season that has seen steady improvement in the young team. They're currently ranked No. 7 and have high expectations heading into Saturday's final home meet against the storied Gators. The meet begins at 6 p.m., with alumni introductions at 5:40 p.m. and will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.
Simply asking about Wilson makes the gymnasts grin.
“I think Tory has been the biggest surprise of this year,” said Georgia Dabritz, another sophomore all-around champ. “She’s really stepped it up.”
Adds junior Mary Beth Lofgren, “We all know she’s talented. But she kind of came in as the underdog and just surprised everybody with just how well she’s done on all four of the events. She’s done a great job.” Even Wilson admits the speed and depth of her success have shocked her — just a little.
“I don’t think I could have expected all of the stuff that’s happened this season,” Wilson said, the smile spreading across her face again. “It’s definitely been fun.”
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 37
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23