Utah Utes gymnastics: Tory Wilson stepped up when the Utes needed her most
“When Corrie went down, that opened a couple of places up for her,” Marsden said. “She really took it up a notch. She learned a new bar routine and has really taken advantage of the opportunities of being out there and competing.”
Part of that, Marsden said, is just her personality.
“I think she really helps to keep things positive,” he said. “She helps people remember that this is supposed to be fun.”
Her teammates say Wilson’s success has been the highlight of the season that has seen steady improvement in the young team. They're currently ranked No. 7 and have high expectations heading into Saturday's final home meet against the storied Gators. The meet begins at 6 p.m., with alumni introductions at 5:40 p.m. and will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.
Simply asking about Wilson makes the gymnasts grin.
“I think Tory has been the biggest surprise of this year,” said Georgia Dabritz, another sophomore all-around champ. “She’s really stepped it up.”
Adds junior Mary Beth Lofgren, “We all know she’s talented. But she kind of came in as the underdog and just surprised everybody with just how well she’s done on all four of the events. She’s done a great job.” Even Wilson admits the speed and depth of her success have shocked her — just a little.
“I don’t think I could have expected all of the stuff that’s happened this season,” Wilson said, the smile spreading across her face again. “It’s definitely been fun.”
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- High school football: Timpview overcomes...
- Dick Harmon: Utah tries to break out of...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- High school football: Defense, big plays pave...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 115
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 94
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 36
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 25
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21