Utah Utes gymnastics: Tory Wilson stepped up when the Utes needed her most
“When Corrie went down, that opened a couple of places up for her,” Marsden said. “She really took it up a notch. She learned a new bar routine and has really taken advantage of the opportunities of being out there and competing.”
Part of that, Marsden said, is just her personality.
“I think she really helps to keep things positive,” he said. “She helps people remember that this is supposed to be fun.”
Her teammates say Wilson’s success has been the highlight of the season that has seen steady improvement in the young team. They're currently ranked No. 7 and have high expectations heading into Saturday's final home meet against the storied Gators. The meet begins at 6 p.m., with alumni introductions at 5:40 p.m. and will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.
Simply asking about Wilson makes the gymnasts grin.
“I think Tory has been the biggest surprise of this year,” said Georgia Dabritz, another sophomore all-around champ. “She’s really stepped it up.”
Adds junior Mary Beth Lofgren, “We all know she’s talented. But she kind of came in as the underdog and just surprised everybody with just how well she’s done on all four of the events. She’s done a great job.” Even Wilson admits the speed and depth of her success have shocked her — just a little.
“I don’t think I could have expected all of the stuff that’s happened this season,” Wilson said, the smile spreading across her face again. “It’s definitely been fun.”
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37