BYU diving: Suder and Williams make finals on day 2 of Zone E Championships
COLORADO SPRING, Colo. — On day two of the Zone E Diving Championships, BYU divers Nicholas Suder and Raleigh Williams Taylor reached the finals in their events Friday at the Air Force Academy Natatorium.
The men competed in the 3-meter, while the women competed in the 1-meter.
Taylor, a junior, finished 18th in the finals of the 1-meter with a final two-round score of 511.85 after finishing 15th in the prelims with a score of 259.60. Suder finished 14th in the finals of the 3-meter with a two-round total of 635.90 after placing 14th in the prelims with a score of 316.40.
"It was great to see Nic and Raleigh make the finals today," head diving coach Keith Russell said. "We did some good things today but we just didn't dive our best. Everyone did well and I'm proud of how they competed today."
Dayna Christensen finished 37th in the prelims of the 1-meter with a score of 226.60. Matt Hopper just missed qualifying for the finals in the 3-meter, placing 20th in the prelims with a score of 275.30.
The platform event is scheduled for Saturday, but the BYU divers won't compete in the event.
"To do well in platform you really need to consistently practice and we just haven't done that all season," Russell said. "Because of that, we won't be competing in the platform event tomorrow. It was a great season for all of our divers and I'm pleased with what they have accomplished."
Jared Houghton is a Sports Information Director who works in the BYU Athletic Communications with the men's and women's swimming teams. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions relating to swimming.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 115
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 21
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21