New picture books explores how children's book rooms were established in libraries
There was a time when libraries didn’t provide book collections specifically for young readers. In fact in 1911 when the New York Public Library opened on Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street, children weren’t even welcome and were forbidden to hold and check out books. But there was one young librarian who thought otherwise.
Salt Lake City author Jan Pinborough has written a picture book biography of one influential librarian, Anne Carroll Moore, who is celebrated as a pioneer in library practices for children.
Anne Carroll Moore (1871-1961) had a family that treasured reading and books. As a young woman and beginning librarian at Pratt Free Library, she established a room just for children with books on shelves at just their level and a welcoming voice to read aloud to them. While other trail-blazers also valued library practices for children, it was Moore who contacted authors and illustrators for readings at her library and then wrote reviews and published recommended reading lists for parents and schools.
Moore became a model for libraries around the world and is today considered one of the leading patrons of children’s rooms where young readers can enjoy story hours, book-related projects and author visits.
Pinborough, who is also the managing editor of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' The Friend magazine for children, includes a resource list of additional readings about Moore, the authors she invited to the children’s room and a thumbnail sketch of library use in the early 1900s. With Atwell’s complementary folk-art illustrations, “Miss Moore Thought Otherwise” is a welcome addition to the history of American libraries.
If you go ...
What: "Miss Moore Thought Otherwise" book launch and Jan Pinborough book signing
When: Saturday, March 23, 11 a.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
When: Saturday, April 13, 11 a.m.
Where: Barnes and Noble, McIntyre Center, 1104 E. 2100 South, Salt Lake City
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1