New picture books explores how children's book rooms were established in libraries
There was a time when libraries didn’t provide book collections specifically for young readers. In fact in 1911 when the New York Public Library opened on Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street, children weren’t even welcome and were forbidden to hold and check out books. But there was one young librarian who thought otherwise.
Salt Lake City author Jan Pinborough has written a picture book biography of one influential librarian, Anne Carroll Moore, who is celebrated as a pioneer in library practices for children.
Anne Carroll Moore (1871-1961) had a family that treasured reading and books. As a young woman and beginning librarian at Pratt Free Library, she established a room just for children with books on shelves at just their level and a welcoming voice to read aloud to them. While other trail-blazers also valued library practices for children, it was Moore who contacted authors and illustrators for readings at her library and then wrote reviews and published recommended reading lists for parents and schools.
Moore became a model for libraries around the world and is today considered one of the leading patrons of children’s rooms where young readers can enjoy story hours, book-related projects and author visits.
Pinborough, who is also the managing editor of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' The Friend magazine for children, includes a resource list of additional readings about Moore, the authors she invited to the children’s room and a thumbnail sketch of library use in the early 1900s. With Atwell’s complementary folk-art illustrations, “Miss Moore Thought Otherwise” is a welcome addition to the history of American libraries.
If you go ...
What: "Miss Moore Thought Otherwise" book launch and Jan Pinborough book signing
When: Saturday, March 23, 11 a.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
When: Saturday, April 13, 11 a.m.
Where: Barnes and Noble, McIntyre Center, 1104 E. 2100 South, Salt Lake City
- Zuckerberg and wife, in letter to new...
- The Piano Guys perform 'Silent Night' at New...
- BYU Vocal Point, One Voice Children's Choir...
- All Blacks perform haka tribute for deceased...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- 'Waitress' makes history as the first time a...
- These touching Christmas ads will melt any...
- In a distracted world, coloring books offer...
- Steve Eaton: 'Bewitched' apparitions... 8
- Zuckerberg and wife, in letter to new... 7
- These touching Christmas ads will melt... 3
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes 1
- Bono, Clooney, Kardashian part of... 1
- Prehistoric lessons: What children can... 1
- Surprising success: 'A Charlie Brown... 1
- Seasonal stagings: Area theaters host... 1