Pinborough tells of Moore's effort and of Nicholas Knickerbocker, a Dutch-made jointed, wooden puppet that helped her tell her stories to children and parents on her trips.
People began sending gifts and books to Nicholas, some simple, some expensive items like a Faberge egg and a miniature treasure box with a tiny key.
Some of those treasures are highlighted in the book. Some will be on display at the book signings.
Darger was recently in Salt Lake City for a private launch and bring with her first-edition books and autographed books Moore gave her family over the years.
"I grew up thinking she was wonderful. I visited her several times in New York, going on ferry rides, seeing the Christmas displays at Bloomingdales," Darger said by phone from her home in Boise. "There is even a picture in her biography of her reading to me.
"I'm a lover of libraries," Darger said. "I'm a collecter of children's literature and drove down to Salt Lake City with my treasures to show her (Pinborough)."
Darger said the Moore legacy will live on in the family as Darger has a niece who just graduated from Harvard who is also named after Moore.
The picture book will also preserve Moore's inspiring story, she said.
If you go ...
What: "Miss Moore Thought Otherwise" book launch and Jan Pinborough book signing
When: Saturday, March 23, 11 a.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
When: Saturday, April 13, 11 a.m.
Where: Barnes and Noble, McIntyre Center, 1104 E. 2100 South, Salt Lake City
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Salt Lake native to compete on 'Survivor:...
- Down with love: 9 movies to celebrate Singles...
- Making music together: Couples of Utah...
- Chris Hicks: Academy Award rules change to...
- 'The People vs. OJ Simpson' is better than it...
- Chris Hicks: ‘Touched By an...
- A black-and-white Valentine’s Day:...
- 'Zoolander 2' is too little too late for Blue...
- Chris Hicks: Academy Award rules change... 3
- Down with love: 9 movies to celebrate... 3
- Making music together: Couples of Utah... 1
- Game Review: Tumult Royale: It's tough... 0
- A black-and-white Valentine’s... 0
- 'Zoolander 2' is too little too late... 0
- 'Zoolander 2': 3 points for parents 0
- 'The People vs. OJ Simpson' is better... 0