Utes basketball: Ducks aren't overlooking Utah in Pac-12 semifinal
LAS VEGAS — When it comes to playing 10th-seeded Utah in the Pac-12 Tournament semifinals, third-seeded Oregon is expressing plenty of respect.
The Ducks discussed the unexpected matchup after edging Washington 80-77 late Thursday night. Utah advanced earlier in the evening with a 79-69 overtime upset of California.
“They are playing really well,” said Oregon coach Dana Altman. “They’ve got a lot of guys that can score, and they’re running stuff.”
“We’re going to have a tough game,” Altman said. “They’ve got big bodies and they’ve got depth. So we are going to have to play awfully well.”
The Ducks (24-8) and Utes (15-17) split a pair of regular-season meetings this season. Oregon prevailed 73-64 in Eugene on Feb. 9, while the Utes took a 72-62 decision in Salt Lake City on March 9.
“Utah has now won four-in-a-row. You can forget their record,” Altman continued. “Confidence is one game away, and they’ve got four of them.”
The Utes, he continued, have guards that can motor and toughness inside with center Jason Washburn.
“We’re going to have to play really well because they are playing really well,” Altman said. “It wasn’t that Cal played bad today. I just thought Utah played really good.”
Oregon forward Arsalan Kazemi noted that the Ducks will need to bring great energy from the first minute on Friday. The recent Huntsman Center loss cost them a share of the Pac-12 regular season title.
“That was a game that really hurt our whole team,” Kazemi said. “But that game is gone and this is just a new life for every team. We’ve just got to go out there and play against Utah.”
Oregon center Tony Woods also believes the Ducks have put last week’s costly setback behind them.
“We had a quick turnaround to come to Vegas and get ready,” he said. “We are excited to play them tomorrow, though. They’re playing well.”
Woods predicted that it could come down to the wire.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- College football predictions: How will... 136
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 56
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 46
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 39
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36