Rep. Brian Greene, R-Pleasant Grove, held out hope until the end of the session that the Senate would consider his bill, which he said had been misunderstood throughout the session.
"Once it gets a bad name, it's hard to bring it back," Greene said.
But even with only House approval, the freshman lawmaker said the bill still sends a strong message against more federal gun control.
Last month's public hearings for HB76 and HB114 attracted one of the session's largest crowds, and openly carried weapons — including an assault rifle — were prominently on display.
Other gun-related legislation this session generated less controversy.
HB121, sponsored by Rep. Dixon Pitcher, R-Ogden, allows troubled families to turn over their guns temporarily to local law enforcement agencies. Dubbed the "safe harbor" bill, it passed both the House and Senate with little debate.
The Legislature also approved HB317, sponsored by Rep. Jacob Anderegg, R-Orem, which makes it a misdemeanor to publicize the names of concealed weapons permit holders.
Pitcher said while he has no way of knowing, he believes the Connecticut shooter's mother might have wanted to remove the guns used to kill her and the other victims from her home because of her son's apparent mental health issues.
Anderegg said his legislation was responding to a New York newspaper's decision to publish a list of concealed weapons permit holders and maps pinpointing where they lived in the wake of the Connecticut shootings.
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Deputy's suicide prompted Tooele school...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Utah too dependent on federal dollars, state...
- Utah Jazz players, dancers, Bear visit...
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Josh Romney first on scene of crash,... 59
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 27
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 15
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15