Utah continues Pac-12 tourney run, upsets California
A day after upsetting USC in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament, the Utes did the same thing to second-seeded California, beating them 79-69 in overtime.
Jarred DuBois hit a fading 3-pointer in the waning seconds of regulation extend the game, and the Utes outscored the Golden Bears 20-10 in the extra period to secure a berth in the semifinals against the winner between Oregon and Washington.
The Utes led much of the first half before falling behind after California switched to a zone defense. Utah forward Jordan Loveridge, however, overcame a rough start and hit two huge back-to-back 3-pointers to give Utah a late 50-48 lead.
Utah again fell behind as California duo Justin Cobbs and Allen Crabbe scored every point for the Golden Bears from that point forward. In contrast, four different Utes accounted for their final nine points of regulation, including DuBois' game-saving 3-pointer.
The Utes scored on every possession in overtime to seal the win.
DuBois, who scored 22 points against USC in the opening round, was once again stellar for the Utes, hitting his first five shots and scoring 15 in the first half.
He was quiet after that until the closing minutes and particularly on the final possession. The senior transfer from Loyola Marymount made sure to extend his one-year stay at Utah, pushing the ball to the left side and hoisting a contested 3-pointer that swished through with just over four seconds remaining.
Four players scored in double figures for the Utes, who shot just over 47 percent overall and from beyond the arc.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 122
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 26
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21