Utah continues Pac-12 tourney run, upsets California
A day after upsetting USC in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament, the Utes did the same thing to second-seeded California, beating them 79-69 in overtime.
Jarred DuBois hit a fading 3-pointer in the waning seconds of regulation extend the game, and the Utes outscored the Golden Bears 20-10 in the extra period to secure a berth in the semifinals against the winner between Oregon and Washington.
The Utes led much of the first half before falling behind after California switched to a zone defense. Utah forward Jordan Loveridge, however, overcame a rough start and hit two huge back-to-back 3-pointers to give Utah a late 50-48 lead.
Utah again fell behind as California duo Justin Cobbs and Allen Crabbe scored every point for the Golden Bears from that point forward. In contrast, four different Utes accounted for their final nine points of regulation, including DuBois' game-saving 3-pointer.
The Utes scored on every possession in overtime to seal the win.
DuBois, who scored 22 points against USC in the opening round, was once again stellar for the Utes, hitting his first five shots and scoring 15 in the first half.
He was quiet after that until the closing minutes and particularly on the final possession. The senior transfer from Loyola Marymount made sure to extend his one-year stay at Utah, pushing the ball to the left side and hoisting a contested 3-pointer that swished through with just over four seconds remaining.
Four players scored in double figures for the Utes, who shot just over 47 percent overall and from beyond the arc.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: Both BYU and Cal have lots to...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- Utes vow not to look past Buffaloes
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- Utah lands three-star RB commit and... 25