STANSBURY PARK — On a warm, cloudy Thursday afternoon, the Bountiful Braves made the trip to Stansbury to take on the Stallions. Zac Muir took the hill for the Braves and was brilliant, pitching a complete game shutout, allowing only three hits in the 6-0 win. Muir also had an RBI double.
“I was just out there trying to throw strikes,” said Muir. “I’ve got to give it all to my defense. I don’t think they made a single error.”
The Braves got things rolling in the bottom of the second when Ryan Stringfellow reached on an error. Stringfellow was able to advance to third, and eventually scored on a passed ball to make it 1-0.
The Braves scored two more runs in the top of the third after the first two batters of the inning were able to draw walks. Muir drove in a run with his RBI double, and the next batter, Tanner Redding, hit a sacrifice fly that drove in another run to make it 3-0.
Stansbury was finally able to get something going in the bottom of the third. Brek Bentley picked up Stansbury’s first hit of the game with a base hit to left field and Nick Mackay followed it up with one of his own. Wyatt Branch came up to the plate with a runner in scoring position and one out, but grounded into a huge inning ending double play that took all momentum away from the Stallions.
The two players involved in that double play also had an impact for the Bountiful offense. Peters made the score 4-0 with an RBI single to center field in the fourth, and Medrano had an RBI single in the fifth to make the score 5-0. Bountiful scored off an error later in the fifth, and they held onto a 6-0 lead the rest of the way.
“The offense was great today,” said Muir. “We were able to consistently score runs. The first pitcher had a really good curve ball, so we were just trying to hit the fastball, and once we started doing that we were able to score some runs and got him out of there."
The Braves move to 2-0 with the win and will face Salem Hills on Saturday. Stansbury goes to 3-3 on the year and will open up Region 11 play against Ben Lomond next Tuesday.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0