Former University of Utah cornerback Sean Smith landed with a new team Thursday, agreeing to terms of a reported three-year deal with Kansas City.
Smith spent his first four seasons in the NFL with Miami and started every game the past two seasons with the Dolphins. Smith's agent, David Canter, confirmed the deal via Twitter.
According to several reports, Smith's contract is worth $18 million, with $11 million in guarantees.
Smith, a second-round pick out of Utah, came into the offseason as one of the most sought-after free agents on the market. NFL.com had him listed among its top 15 available free agents, calling Smith, "A physical player who occasionally looks like a true No. 1 cornerback ... at least for a few games at a time."
Last season, Smith recorded 53 tackles, 12 passes defended, two interceptions and three forced fumbles with Miami.
Smith, listed at 6-foot-3 and 218 pounds, is likely to start at cornerback for Kansas City opposite Brandon Flowers. The Chiefs also signed former Atlanta Falcon Dunta Robinson, forming a cornerback trio with plenty of starting experience. Robinson is expected to serve as the team's nickelback.
ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted, "If Denver has Wes Welker, Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker, would make sense for KC to have Sean Smith, Dunta Robinson and Brandon Flowers."
Other teams that were reportedly interested in signing Smith included the Eagles and Raiders.
"Oakland badly needs a cornerback, and Smith would have been the team's best," ESPN's Bill Williamson wrote. "But the Chiefs won the battle."
Smith is the second former Ute standout to head to Kansas City this offseason. The Chiefs traded for quarterback Alex Smith, the former No. 1 draft pick for San Francisco in the 2005 NFL draft.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Parents remember child, 6, who died days...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Caucus meetings this week give public a...
- Woman critically injured after an explosion...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Bill passed by Legislature may mean Utah...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- About Utah: The flood is gone, but great...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in... 84
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 76
- British judge hears arguments in case... 74
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 36
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 35
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29
- Can House speaker be a 'real fighter'... 29