Sexuality: Burt Wonderstone (Steve Carell) is a womanizer who hits on every woman he sees. He and his partner make suggestive moves on stage with their assistant. He takes a woman home with him and takes her to his bedroom. She awakes in her underwear. Wonderstone takes off a woman’s bra from under her clothes, then does a trick with a condom.
Physical injury: Steve Gray’s (Jim Carrey) magic act is based on tricks that hurt physically. He cuts himself on the face, uses hot coals and a drill. One trick deals with holding a bodily function. One trick in the film has people being dragged and then thrown into trucks.
Language: While some profanity is heard in this film, it is not nearly as much as could have been used. The Gray character uses language that is meant to be disturbing. For example, his reality show is called “Brain Rapist.”
While there are some funny moments that will make people laugh, they are too few. Some of the comedy lays flat and is not funny. This is definitely a film for an older audience, such as 14 and up.
Shawn O'Neill is the Family Man Movie Reviewer.
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What makes marriage hard? These 5 things...
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video parody...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 54
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 17
- 5 underrated Disney movies 13
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Baby boomers,... 6
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- What parents can do at home to prepare... 3
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3