DRAPER — It took three attempts, but the Logan Grizzlies earned their first win of the season with a charming defensive effort.
The 4A squad traveled to 3A’s No. 2-ranked Juan Diego High School Wednesday evening for a 1-0 road victory.
“First win of the year, it felt good,” said Logan head coach Tod Martin, who led his team to the 4A quarterfinals a year ago.
“We graduated 14 seniors last year. We have a good, hard-working team. We needed to come together as a team, kind of figure out where guys were going to play.”
“I think both of them could play at the next level, if not further than that,” Martin said of the senior captains. “The both did very well today.”
Marquez scored the Grizzlies’ goal — his first of the season — in the 13th minute. He controlled the ball at the top of the box, jewked his defender, and then took a shot toward the far post and right into the back of the net.
“He’s done it in practice, it was great to see him do it in a game,” Martin said. “He’s incredible; he’s a big part of (the offense). We’ve got other talented players, but a lot of it comes off of him.”
A major part of the Logan defense is what Lyne does on the other end of the field. Juan Diego had multiple opportunities to score but came up short due to Lyne’s risky diving saves.
“He’s a stud,” Martin said of Lyne’s efforts, which included leaving an empty net on multiple occasions to confront the Juan Diego offense. “He was a downhill skier, and he combines those quick reflexes, large size, good hands in his goalkeeping.”
Martin added that his payers seemed to finally settle into their roles, and he looks forward to getting back out for the next match.
“I felt we swung the ball around really good today,” he said. “I felt we had a lot of chemistry, created more chances and were pretty solid on defense.”
“We are on a one-game winning streak,” he told his team afterward. “We just keep getting better.”
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 17
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7