High school football: Timpview's Van Orden will coach at Bingham
Keith Johnson, Deseret News
SOUTH JORDAN — Chad Van Orden is going to have to invest in a new wardrobe.
After 23 years in Timpview orange and blue, Van Orden is going to be wearing Bingham blue and black next year.
"He joined our staff yesterday," said Bingham head football coach Dave Peck. "He's going to teach math and be our quarterback coach. I'm way excited. He's one of the best offensive minds in the game."
Van Orden retired from teaching at Timpview last year, which required him to not take another teaching job until July 1, 2013. He said he stayed on as Timpview's offensive coordinator because he'd made a commitment to newly hired head coach Cary Whittingham.
"I stayed in coaching because I committed to help Cary, and it's been a really fun year," Van Orden said. He and Whittingham helped the T-birds to a 4A state title after a year of turmoil and controversy.
Van Orden preceded both Whittingham and Louis Wong as the head coach at Timpview — winning three state titles before stepping away after the 2004 season. He didn’t step away entirely, however, remaining as the team’s offensive coordinator under both coaches.
Peck said he and Bingham's long-time offensive coordinator John Lambourne were thrilled that Van Orden would consider joining the Miners' coaching staff. Van Orden actually lives in South Jordan and is looking forward to a much shorter commute.
"I'm pretty happy to help with whatever they want," said the self-effacing Van Orden.
Peck knows what a significant hire his long-time friend is, and he said the Miners weren't the only school hoping to hire Van Orden as a teacher and coach.
"I just think any program that Chad went to, well, that program would be better," he said. "I feel like our program just got another boost. We're happy to have him."
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Ben Lomond Scots 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16