Today in sports: BYU makes historic comeback from 25 down to Iona
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
BYU was more than down. The Cougars were buried and, many thought, done.
Then they made history.
One year ago, today, the Cougars erased a 25-point deficit against Iona for an NCAA Tournament victory. The win marked the biggest such comeback in tournament history.
The 14th-seeded Cougars advanced before losing to No. 3 Marquette, though the Iona win was particularly sweet for BYU big man Brandon Davies, who had missed the previous year's Sweet 16 run. Davies finished that game with a double-double of 18 points and 15 rebounds.
Noah Hartstock added 23 points and might have summed it up best.
"It's part of March Madness," he said after the game.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47