Today in sports: BYU makes historic comeback from 25 down to Iona
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
BYU was more than down. The Cougars were buried and, many thought, done.
Then they made history.
One year ago, today, the Cougars erased a 25-point deficit against Iona for an NCAA Tournament victory. The win marked the biggest such comeback in tournament history.
The 14th-seeded Cougars advanced before losing to No. 3 Marquette, though the Iona win was particularly sweet for BYU big man Brandon Davies, who had missed the previous year's Sweet 16 run. Davies finished that game with a double-double of 18 points and 15 rebounds.
Noah Hartstock added 23 points and might have summed it up best.
"It's part of March Madness," he said after the game.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37