Today in sports: BYU makes historic comeback from 25 down to Iona
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
BYU was more than down. The Cougars were buried and, many thought, done.
Then they made history.
One year ago, today, the Cougars erased a 25-point deficit against Iona for an NCAA Tournament victory. The win marked the biggest such comeback in tournament history.
The 14th-seeded Cougars advanced before losing to No. 3 Marquette, though the Iona win was particularly sweet for BYU big man Brandon Davies, who had missed the previous year's Sweet 16 run. Davies finished that game with a double-double of 18 points and 15 rebounds.
Noah Hartstock added 23 points and might have summed it up best.
"It's part of March Madness," he said after the game.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Believe it or not: QB Travis Wilson is set to...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 67
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 29
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 25