Today in sports: BYU makes historic comeback from 25 down to Iona
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
BYU was more than down. The Cougars were buried and, many thought, done.
Then they made history.
One year ago, today, the Cougars erased a 25-point deficit against Iona for an NCAA Tournament victory. The win marked the biggest such comeback in tournament history.
The 14th-seeded Cougars advanced before losing to No. 3 Marquette, though the Iona win was particularly sweet for BYU big man Brandon Davies, who had missed the previous year's Sweet 16 run. Davies finished that game with a double-double of 18 points and 15 rebounds.
Noah Hartstock added 23 points and might have summed it up best.
"It's part of March Madness," he said after the game.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20