Today in sports: BYU makes historic comeback from 25 down to Iona
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
BYU was more than down. The Cougars were buried and, many thought, done.
Then they made history.
One year ago, today, the Cougars erased a 25-point deficit against Iona for an NCAA Tournament victory. The win marked the biggest such comeback in tournament history.
The 14th-seeded Cougars advanced before losing to No. 3 Marquette, though the Iona win was particularly sweet for BYU big man Brandon Davies, who had missed the previous year's Sweet 16 run. Davies finished that game with a double-double of 18 points and 15 rebounds.
Noah Hartstock added 23 points and might have summed it up best.
"It's part of March Madness," he said after the game.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 45
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 40
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25