Great West Conference tournament action gets under way Thursday afternoon in the four vs. five play-in game, with UVU taking on Houston Baptist. The winner will take on the conference champion, NJIT.
In their first meeting this season on Jan. 12, the Wolverines topped the Huskies by 21 points in Orem. HBU returned the favor when UVU made the trip to Houston with a 10-point win six weeks later on Feb. 23.
The Wolverines will be at a disadvantage as their top scorer in the first matchup, Alfonso Hubbard, is out for the season with a knee injury. Hubbard chipped in 24 points and the Wolverines shot 60 percent from the field to pace themselves to an easy win.
In Houston, the Wolverines couldn't find their groove as an early deficit was too much to overcome, even with 26 points from Holton Hunsaker and 19 from Ben Aird. The Wolverines were able to chip away at the lead and got within four points midway through the second half, but a 12-3 Husky run put an end to any thought of making it a game down the stretch.
With all the injuries UVU has suffered, coach Dick Hunsaker is counting on his starting five to get the job done.
"We have to have production from our starters," Hunsaker said. "We have a lot of guys that are hit or miss with their production, and they all have to play well if we want to advance."
The game tips off at 4 p.m. MDT and can be followed at www.wolverinegreen.com.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43