Firefighters extinguish blaze at drilling rig near Starvation State Park
DUCHESNE — Firefighters quickly contained a fire Wednesday at a drilling rig near Starvation State Park.
Fire crews were called to a Nabors Drilling rig 15 miles west of Duchesne just before 5 a.m. after natural gas escaping from the wellbore ignited, according to Duchesne Assistant Fire Chief Keith Ayers.
"There were 30-foot flames lapping over the top of the drilling rig," Ayers said.
Firefighters were able to protect the rig's electrical system, which kept its pumps running, the assistant chief said. That allowed the rig's crew to pump weighted fluids down the well to prevent more natural gas from escaping.
"That was a key factor in stopping the fire," Ayers said, adding that firefighters had the blaze fully contained in about an hour.
Bill Barrett Corp. owns the well. Spokesman Jim Felton said the Denver-based company is cooperating with the state and local investigation into the fire.
"Bill Barrett Corp. will also be reviewing the processes used to make sure everything is safe before drilling operations resume," Felton said.
Wednesday's fire comes almost two months after a drilling rig operated by Frontier Drilling caught fire two miles north of Roosevelt. That fire, which started Jan. 22 at a well site owned by Oklahoma City-based Devon Energy, forced the evacuation of several nearby homes. It took almost two weeks to bring that blaze under control.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 70
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 56
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 40
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 39
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 19
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 14
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell... 11