Firefighters extinguish blaze at drilling rig near Starvation State Park
DUCHESNE — Firefighters quickly contained a fire Wednesday at a drilling rig near Starvation State Park.
Fire crews were called to a Nabors Drilling rig 15 miles west of Duchesne just before 5 a.m. after natural gas escaping from the wellbore ignited, according to Duchesne Assistant Fire Chief Keith Ayers.
"There were 30-foot flames lapping over the top of the drilling rig," Ayers said.
Firefighters were able to protect the rig's electrical system, which kept its pumps running, the assistant chief said. That allowed the rig's crew to pump weighted fluids down the well to prevent more natural gas from escaping.
"That was a key factor in stopping the fire," Ayers said, adding that firefighters had the blaze fully contained in about an hour.
Bill Barrett Corp. owns the well. Spokesman Jim Felton said the Denver-based company is cooperating with the state and local investigation into the fire.
"Bill Barrett Corp. will also be reviewing the processes used to make sure everything is safe before drilling operations resume," Felton said.
Wednesday's fire comes almost two months after a drilling rig operated by Frontier Drilling caught fire two miles north of Roosevelt. That fire, which started Jan. 22 at a well site owned by Oklahoma City-based Devon Energy, forced the evacuation of several nearby homes. It took almost two weeks to bring that blaze under control.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Lawmaker's proposal would offer free tuition...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 48
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27