SALT LAKE CITY — “Lamb of God,” a nondenominational production, will represent Jesus Christ’s ministry, crucifixion and resurrection through music and spoken word in Abravanel Hall, March 15-16.
More than 270 performers, including the Witness Music Symphony Orchestra and Choir, will present this tribute to Christ’s life.
Garin Hess, founder and conductor of Witness Music, sang in a choir that performed “Lamb of God” two years ago with composer Rob Gardner. After the performance, Hess felt the concert needed to be done again.
Gardner didn’t have plans to continue the performance in Utah, so Hess took the matter into his own hands.
“From A Christian perspective we need to put Christ at the center of Easter more prominently,” Hess said. “I feel like this music needs to take the same position to Easter that Handel’s Messiah does to Christmas.”
When Hess was introduced to the “Lamb of God” music in 2011, he said he was facing difficult challenges. After experiencing the production, he said he felt the power of Christ’s atonement healing him.
“The music has helped me in a deep and personal way,” Hess said. “I am continually brought more and more healing from it.”
Last year, the performance was in a tabernacle in American Fork, but this year Hess wanted to seek out the best possible performing venue for the music he is so passionate about.
Actor Marvin Payne will narrate the production for the second year in a row. Payne agrees there is a special spirit connected to the music.
“This music tells the truth about the Savior, and that very practical truth has the literal power to heal,” Payne said. “I think that, just as we love the eager drawings of our children, the Lord loves and honors our best awkward efforts to capture the wonder of His grace.”
Tickets can be purchased at www.wewitnessmusic.org.
Megan Marsden is an intern with the Deseret News writing for the Faith & Family section. She is a junior at BYU-Idaho studying communication. Her views do not necessarily reflect the views of BYU-Idaho.
- Best and worst states to have a baby
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working to...
- 'Maze Runner,' based on Utah author's novel,...
- 20 things I will not regret doing with my kids
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The Clean Cut: New 'Simba cam' takes over...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 10
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale... 9
- Why do Elsa's and Anna's parents have... 6
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be... 4
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me 4
- Why a parent going to prison can be... 4
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working... 4