Jason Olson, All
SOUTH JORDAN — Bingham boys basketball coach Mark Dubach announced his resignation atop the Miners' program Wednesday.
Dubach, who was unavailable for comment but confirmed the decision via text message with the Deseret News, compiled a 164-72 mark with three final-four appearances and a state championship in 2006 after inheriting the program in 2003. During a seven-year stretch, Dubach’s teams won at least a share of the region championships, winning five outright.
“He was actually a great coach. He was always very emotional and vocal,” said Sloan Baker, who led the Miners in scoring during the championship season in 2005-06. “He really cared about his players and would do absolutely anything for his players. There were times that he was vocal, that it would get him in trouble, but for the most part it was good.”
Over the past two seasons, the Miners posted a 23-24 collective record after the seven-year stretch, but the decision was unexpected for Baker.
“If I had to guess I would say a lot of stress building up and negative feedback from parents and all the politics that get involved with that,” Baker said when asked what he believed was the cause of the decision. “Either way, you’re not going to make everybody happy. There’s a lot of parents that think their kid is better and should be playing a lot more.”
Bingham athletic director Brad Bevan could not be reached for comment by telephone.
Dubach also taught mathematics at Bingham.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 46
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29