Hearing aid pilot program for needy children receives nod from Legislature
SALT LAKE CITY — A bill that would make hearing aids available to low-income children faces one more vote before final passage in the Utah Legislature.
The Senate heard HB157 Wednesday, voting in unanimous support of establishing an advisory committee within the Utah Department of Health that would be responsible for screening individuals and families for eligibility in a two-year pilot program.
The program would provide hearing aids to children under age 3 who do not qualify for Medicaid or the Utah Children's Health Insurance Program. Participants must also meet income verification requirements, showing a financial need for the service.
Bill co-sponsor Sen. Aaron Osmond, R-South Jordan, said the earlier a child receives a hearing aid, the more the devices can do to better develop the sense, as well as lead to better educational outcomes. Children and families seem to incur considerable medical expenses down the road if hearing aids aren't implemented early enough.
"If we want kids who are productive … no matter what they are dealt … we have to make these kinds of investments to help move them forward," said Sen. Pat Jones, D-Salt Lake City. She said all children deserve the same chance.
The bill will be heard one last time by the Senate before returning to the House for final action.
If the program is successful in helping contain costs for families and improving outcomes for children, Osmond said it would be re-evaluated by a future Legislature.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car after...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Uintah County man 'lucky to be alive' after...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 53
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- New definition of homeless would give... 24
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18