Legislature passes bill banning teen drivers from talking on cellphones
Children could still call parents in bill that now goes to governor
“I think it's stupid,” he said. “Just because they're older doesn't mean they're more aware of what they're doing while driving.”
For 16-year-old Amber Nielsen, the new law will be an adjustment.
“I could be pulled over and charged for doing something that has been normal since I was a little girl,” she said. “I'm so used to having my phone accessible and being able to call anyone when I need to.”
As inconvenient as the law may be, however, Nielsen said she stands in favor of the new legislation.
“It's a smart law,” she said. “It's important to keep all your focus on the road, especially since driving can be so dangerous.”
Kaylee Smith, 16, just got her driver's license at the end of February. Though the new law comes just as she begins driving, she says it doesn't affect her.
“My mom said she would take my driving privileges away if she ever caught me talking on the phone,” she said.
Smith said the new law may be beneficial to those just getting into the habit of driving, but that judgment call should be left to teens as they get older.
“If you had your license for more than a year, I think it's OK,” she said. “What if you need to pick up a sibling from practice, but you can't answer the phone?”
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview creates...
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Man charged with attempted murder in Ogden...
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,...
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is...
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 27
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 17