'Constitutional carry' law could create showdown between governor, legislators
The alliance and six other groups — Utah Parents Against Gun Violence, the Utah Gun Violence Prevention Center, Rape Recovery Center, League of Women Voters of Utah, Gun Sense: Action for Gun Violence Protection, and the American Association of University Women — want Herbert to veto the bill.
Aposhian, who taught the class in which Herbert obtained a concealed carry permit, doesn't know which way the governor will go on the bill.
"I think I'll listen to the governor first, see what he has to say. I want to find out what his concerns are," he said.
Aposhian said he expects the number of Utahns seeking concealed weapons permits will drop under the new law, except for those who like to carry outside the state. Utah's permit is recognized by 34 states.
Another controversial gun measure, HB114, remains in the Senate Rules Committee. It asserts that Utah has the right to bar the enforcement of federal gun laws in the state.
Senate President Wayne Niederhauser, R-Sandy, said Wednesday that Senate leaders have not decided whether to move it to the floor.
The Legislature also passed a noncontroversial gun bill Wednesday.
HB121 allows people to take guns to a police department for storage for up to 60 days, no questions asked. Bill sponsor Rep. Dixon Pitcher, R-Ogden, said the idea is to provide a "safe harbor" for weapons when a family might be despondent due to marital problems, mental illness, suicidal thoughts or other issues.
It now goes to the governor for consideration.
Contributing: Lisa Riley Roche
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- Alcohol use suspected in Uintah County crash...
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with police...
- AF High Band performs with borrowed...
- Skiers celebrate snow and opening of Park...
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- Woman on 'My Five Wives' accuses father of abuse
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 48
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 26
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18