Westminster basketball: Yazzie named WBCA All-American, Jarrard named Region I Coach of the Year
ATLANTA — The Women’s Basketball Coaches Association announced Wednesday that Nicole Yazzie from the Westminster College women’s basketball team has been named to the 2013 WBCA National Intercollegiate Athletic Association Coaches’ All-America Team.
Yazzie becomes the second player in school history to be recognized as an All-American by the WBCA. The 5-foot-7 senior from West Valley City, Utah, leads the Griffins in scoring at 13.2 points per game. She is 10th in the NAIA at 5.03 assists per game and 20th with a 1.84 assist-to-turnover ratio.
The 10-member team was selected by a vote of the selection committee. The committee is comprised of one representative from each of the nine geographical regions and a chairperson.
“The WBCA congratulates the members of the 2013 NAIA Coaches’ All-America Team,” WBCA CEO Beth Bass said. “These 10 student-athletes have helped trigger their teams’ success this season and have propelled their game to a level that is deserving of such recognition.”
The WBCA also announced that Westminster head coach Shelley Jarrard is the 2013 RUSSELL ATHLETIC/WBCA NAIA Region I Coach of the Year. By winning the region honor, Jarrard becomes a finalist for the 2013 RUSSELL ATHLETIC/WBCA NAIA National Coach of the Year Award.
The 2013 RUSSELL ATHLETIC/WBCA NAIA National Coach of the Year will be named during the third annual WBCA Awards Show on Monday, April 8, in New Orleans. This event is part of the WBCA National Convention and is held in conjunction with the NCAA Women’s Final Four.
“The WBCA congratulates these coaches on being named finalists for the 2013 RUSSELL ATHLETIC/WBCA NAIA Coach of the Year Award,” Bass said. “Each of these coaches led their team to a distinguished season and was selected for this honor by their peers. On behalf of the WBCA and its members, I wish all five of these finalists the best of luck at the WBCA Award Show in New Orleans.”
Gary Barfield, senior vice president of Russell Athletic, also congratulated the coaches who were named finalists for this award.
"We would like to congratulate these coaches for being named finalists for the 2013 RUSSELL ATHLETIC/WBCA NAIA Coach of the Year Award,” Barfield said. “Each of these coaches embodies the team concept we model our business after, and we are pleased to honor them for a fantastic season."
Westminster begins the 2013 NAIA Division I Women’s Basketball National Championships on Thursday with a first round game against St. Catharine (Ky.). The Griffins are the No. 2 seed in the second quadrant and will tipoff against the No. 7 seed at 10:30 a.m. MST. The game will be streamed live on the web and will also be shown live in the Shaw Student Center.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- Dick Harmon: How much swagger BYU finds after...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 84
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 62
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25