High school boys basketball: MVPs were playmakers for championship teams
“He’s a young guy, but skill-wise he’s a level above. He’s a special kid offensively,” said Morgan. “I need the last shot taken, he’s going to take it.”
John hopes to play college basketball in a few years, and Morgan believes he has the potential to be a mid-to-high Division I guy with two more years of growth and maturity to his game.
Braxton Syrett, Bryce Valley
Braxton Syrett was voted onto the Deseret News first team last season based largely on his defensive prowess and clutch play in the state tournament.
A year later it was all about the offense.
Syrett took on a different role for Bryce Valley his senior season and was sensational in the process, averaging 23.1 points — up 10 from last year — to lead the Mustangs to the 1A state title.
Despite the extra attention of defenders, he scored more than 20 points in all four state tournament victories.
“He really learned how to control his game. How to get his shots, when to be patient, and let the team develop its rhythm around him,” said Bryce Valley coach Eric Jessen.
Syrett was at his best against the best, scoring 43 points against Piute back in December and then 41 more against Panguitch in the region tournament.
Jessen said Syrett’s will to win was arguably his greatest asset.
“One of the greatest attributes about Braxton, he’s so competitive. If you were playing him in a game of chess and he knew he was going to lose, he would cut your arms off so you couldn’t win, that’s how competitive he is. He has that undeniable nag and will to win the game. He hates losing,” said Jessen.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a football...
- Felt's Facts, Week 1: Where does Duchesne's...
- Brad Rock: Jerry Sloan praises ref who may...
- Preseason viewer’s guide: Clash of the...
- BYU offensive line coming together in time...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 110
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 104
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 75
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 44
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a... 40