Tooele couple robbed bank with kids in car, police say
TOOELE — A husband and wife are in jail after police say they robbed a bank in the middle of the day Monday with their children in the car.
Michelle Parker, 27, entered the Wells Fargo at Main Street and Utah Avenue, presenting the teller with a note demanding money. Her husband, William Parker, 27, was waiting outside in the car with their 2- and 5-year-old children, Tooele Police Sgt. Todd Hewitt said.
An off-duty officer noticed Michelle Parker hurrying out of the bank and leaving in a waiting car just before noon Monday. He began following the vehicle and stopped the couple before even receiving word of the robbery.
"The officer … did a great job, and Wells Fargo also did a good job," Hewitt said. "The teller, the employees in the bank had a ton of information for us when we got there. They followed all their protocols."
A search of the vehicle revealed the money from Wells Fargo, notes and "other evidence," Hewitt said. Michelle Parker did not make any threats during the alleged robbery, and no weapons were located in the couple's possession.
The couple moved to Tooele in November. They were booked into Tooele County Jail.
The children were taken into state custody, Hewitt said. Their maternal grandfather is working to have the children released to him.
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 114
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 44
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 32
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS... 16