SALT LAKE CITY — After the wedding ring of a man killed in a plane crash went missing, a man at the end of the paper trail was charged with theft.
David Jacobsen, owner of Jacobsen's Removal and Embalming Service, faces one count of theft, a third-degree felony, according to charges filed Tuesday in 3rd District Court.
Jacobsen's company was hired to transport the body of Peter Mrowiec, who was killed along with another man Aug. 30, 2012, in a plane crash near Nephi. Mrowiec's body was transported from the medical examiner's office to Gardner Mortuary as scheduled, along with an inventory sheet listing a "yellow colored ring," which had been sealed in a small bag and attached to the body.
The mortuary never received the ring, which has the word "Siffari" engraved inside the band and is valued at more than $1,500, according to the charges.
The state medical examiner's office maintained a photograph of the ring, and the autopsy assistant who released the body to Jacobsen said she went through the inventory line by line before giving him the ring and Mrowiec's additional property, charges state.
Jacobsen initialed each item in the inventory, confirming he received the ring. He later told police he didn't remember whether he received the ring, suggesting perhaps it had been sent to the family of the second man killed in the crash.
The wife of the second victim confirmed she received only one ring, which belonged to her husband, charges state.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Trump says he loves Mormons, but Romney... 100
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 42
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29