High School baseball: Timpanogos holds off Viewmont, 3-2
OREM — Timpanogos manufactured three early runs and held off a Viewmont 7th-inning rally to come away with a 3-2 home win. The Timberwolves used six innings of scoreless pitching from Tanner Nielsen and Ryan Jacobson along with some timely execution on offense to hold off the Vikings.
"We're still trying to figure out who we are and what we do best, but this was a good win for us," said Timpanogos coach Kim Nelson. "Viewmont is a good team and (to) win a game against them is always a positive thing."
Timpanogos topped off its scoring with a bunt single from Jacob Church that scored Morin to provide a 3-0 cushion.
The visiting Vikings didn't lay down, however, and scored two runs in the top of the seventh via an RBI double from Weston Sandberg and then an RBI single from Brandon Jensen. With two outs and runners on first and second, Jordan Evans forced a flyout and secured the win.
"It got a little bit scary there in the seventh, but we were fortunate to score just enough runs," Nelson said. "We received some good pitching and I believe that's likely to be the strength of our team this year — good pitching."
A year after coming painstakingly close to the 4A state title — losing by just one run to Skyline in the championship, Timpanogos returns a lot of of players and a confident demeanor.
"I think our guys realize that they're good enough now having been to the championship game last year," Nelson said. "It's a different team — every year is different, but I feel our players are that much more excited to start this season after coming just short last year."
As the Timberwolves set for region play, Nelson is still getting a grasp on this year's team and how to approach games.
"We need to figure out how to score runs and how we're best capable of doing that — that's what I think is the main thing we need to figure out," Nelson said. "Like I said, I feel really good about our pitching, but offensively I think we're still in the process of figuring out how we do things."
With the win, Timpanogos improves to 4-1 on the year and will next take on Pleasant Grove at home. Viewmont falls to 0-1 and will play Riverton this Saturday in a double-header.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- Tempers flare in Jazz's physical overtime win...
- BYU football: This Nephi played a role in...
- Dick Harmon: Want drama? Storylines galore?...
- High school football: Parry's Power Guide for...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 60
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- Utah Utes football: The California... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- Utes back in the college football... 25
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22