Real Salt Lake notebook: Rehabbing Javier Morales, Nat Borchers go through full training session for first time
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — For the first time in months, Javier Morales (knee) and Nat Borchers (quad) were able to go through a full training session Tuesday afternoon at America First Field.
"They're coming along," said Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis of the duo. "Both of them went through full training sessions today. Nat trained fully as if he was any other player. Javier we kept as a neutral player, meaning that he gets some protection from having to defend and make movements according to other players' movements."
Their returns will surely be a welcome sight for RSL fans, who are anxiously awaiting Salt Lake's home opener Saturday against Rocky Mountain Cup rival Colorado at Rio Tinto Stadium.
"I think it's really important to come out with a strong showing at home," said Borchers. "Be aggressive, do our thing and keep those three points."
Borchers is likely day to day as the upcoming match approaches, and was straightforward when asked for a timetable for return.
"I'd like to say ASAP, and that's really all I know because every day is different," said Borchers. "Today was a great day. We'll see how my body reacts tomorrow, so I'm hoping as soon as possible."
SABO TABBED BY TICOS: RSL forward Alvaro Saborio was called up this week to the Costa Rican national team for its upcoming World Cup qualifiers. Saborio will miss the March 23 match at FC Dallas, but will be available for the home opener against the Colorado Rapids this Saturday.
LEADING THE 'D': Chris Schuler has filled the role as leader of the backline while usual starters Borchers and Chris Wingert recover from offseason surgeries. Schuler has impressed through two road matches, Borchers says.
"He's been unquestionably the leader in the back. He's been vocal. He's been in great spots winning balls and I think it's just been fantastic to see him step up like he has," said Borchers.
RSL have two remaining practices before Saturday's match. Kickoff at 4 p.m.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20