Real Salt Lake notebook: Rehabbing Javier Morales, Nat Borchers go through full training session for first time
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — For the first time in months, Javier Morales (knee) and Nat Borchers (quad) were able to go through a full training session Tuesday afternoon at America First Field.
"They're coming along," said Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis of the duo. "Both of them went through full training sessions today. Nat trained fully as if he was any other player. Javier we kept as a neutral player, meaning that he gets some protection from having to defend and make movements according to other players' movements."
Their returns will surely be a welcome sight for RSL fans, who are anxiously awaiting Salt Lake's home opener Saturday against Rocky Mountain Cup rival Colorado at Rio Tinto Stadium.
"I think it's really important to come out with a strong showing at home," said Borchers. "Be aggressive, do our thing and keep those three points."
Borchers is likely day to day as the upcoming match approaches, and was straightforward when asked for a timetable for return.
"I'd like to say ASAP, and that's really all I know because every day is different," said Borchers. "Today was a great day. We'll see how my body reacts tomorrow, so I'm hoping as soon as possible."
SABO TABBED BY TICOS: RSL forward Alvaro Saborio was called up this week to the Costa Rican national team for its upcoming World Cup qualifiers. Saborio will miss the March 23 match at FC Dallas, but will be available for the home opener against the Colorado Rapids this Saturday.
LEADING THE 'D': Chris Schuler has filled the role as leader of the backline while usual starters Borchers and Chris Wingert recover from offseason surgeries. Schuler has impressed through two road matches, Borchers says.
"He's been unquestionably the leader in the back. He's been vocal. He's been in great spots winning balls and I think it's just been fantastic to see him step up like he has," said Borchers.
RSL have two remaining practices before Saturday's match. Kickoff at 4 p.m.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 53
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37