Real Salt Lake notebook: Rehabbing Javier Morales, Nat Borchers go through full training session for first time
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — For the first time in months, Javier Morales (knee) and Nat Borchers (quad) were able to go through a full training session Tuesday afternoon at America First Field.
"They're coming along," said Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis of the duo. "Both of them went through full training sessions today. Nat trained fully as if he was any other player. Javier we kept as a neutral player, meaning that he gets some protection from having to defend and make movements according to other players' movements."
Their returns will surely be a welcome sight for RSL fans, who are anxiously awaiting Salt Lake's home opener Saturday against Rocky Mountain Cup rival Colorado at Rio Tinto Stadium.
"I think it's really important to come out with a strong showing at home," said Borchers. "Be aggressive, do our thing and keep those three points."
Borchers is likely day to day as the upcoming match approaches, and was straightforward when asked for a timetable for return.
"I'd like to say ASAP, and that's really all I know because every day is different," said Borchers. "Today was a great day. We'll see how my body reacts tomorrow, so I'm hoping as soon as possible."
SABO TABBED BY TICOS: RSL forward Alvaro Saborio was called up this week to the Costa Rican national team for its upcoming World Cup qualifiers. Saborio will miss the March 23 match at FC Dallas, but will be available for the home opener against the Colorado Rapids this Saturday.
LEADING THE 'D': Chris Schuler has filled the role as leader of the backline while usual starters Borchers and Chris Wingert recover from offseason surgeries. Schuler has impressed through two road matches, Borchers says.
"He's been unquestionably the leader in the back. He's been vocal. He's been in great spots winning balls and I think it's just been fantastic to see him step up like he has," said Borchers.
RSL have two remaining practices before Saturday's match. Kickoff at 4 p.m.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah defensive end Nate Orchard leads locals...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to the...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 87
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 60
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 53
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 50
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 31
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 26