Corned beef quesadillas are a kid-friendly St. Patrick's Day recipe
Single dads have to be creative when it comes to holiday traditions.
I'm not naturally crafty, so I need to be intentional with helping my children create memories that will carry them into adulthood. Often these memories are made around our dinner table, and this year we're looking forward to a unique twist on the traditional St. Patrick's Day dinner.
It's just the three of us this year, so these corned beef quesadillas are a hit with my kids, and certainly easier to make than corned brisket of beef.
CORNED BEEF QUESADILLAS
Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
corned beef deli meat, thinly sliced
whole wheat or white tortillas
sauerkraut, drained well
Heat frying pan on the stove top for a few minutes over medium heat. Place one tortilla into the frying pan, and add a slice of swiss cheese. Add two or three slices of corned beef, and top with sauerkraut. Fold the other side of the tortilla over, and continue heating until cheese is melted. Flip tortilla over, and heat the other side until golden.
For a healthy side dish, serve with a kale or spinach salad topped with light thousand island dressing and almond slices.
Andrew Johnson is a writer, former radio reporter, avid outdoorsman and single father. He makes his home in Salt Lake County, and now runs 24saltlake.com, which includes other kid-friendly recipes.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- The Clean Cut: Military father surprises...
- 10 compliments your kids need to hear
- 42 ways to make your kids feel absolutely loved
- Stuart Edge, Alex Boye, other Utah artists...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- The economy has begun to recover, but... 24
- Things that changed my view of marriage... 24
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 15
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 12
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 6
- Woman's happiness most important to... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5