Police investigating incendiary device found in van
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake man found some type of incendiary device in his van that police say was designed to ignite when he turned his car on.
The device did not work, but now Salt Lake police are looking for whoever planted it.
About 9:30 a.m. Monday, a man got into his van at 557 S. 600 West. He started the engine, but then noticed an "incendiary device ... with the purpose to start a fire once the engine started," said Salt Lake fire spokesman Jasen Asay.
Although the device did not work, Asay said investigators believe it was real. He said the device was likely intended to start a fire as opposed to create a large explosion.
Asay declined to give details about what kind of device was found.
Investigators were interviewing the van owner Tuesday to find out if he had been threatened lately and were following up on a couple of leads, Asay said.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 71
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 51
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 28
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14