SALT LAKE CITY — Public comment begins Tuesday on Kennecott Utah Copper’s proposal to modify an existing groundwater permit to relocate and rebuild the water collection and capture system for the Bingham Canyon Mine.
The East Waste Rock Extension is an alternative method for managing rock and soil overburden from within the mine's current operational boundaries. The current water collection system would be covered and a new capture system would be installed.
The public can provide comments through the close of business April 26. Two public information meetings and a public comment hearing are scheduled for stakeholders and the public to learn about the proposed modification.
Details about the modification request can be found on the Division of Water Quality's website or can be viewed in person at the Division of Water Quality, 195 N. 1950 West.
The division also will host one of the public information meetings from 6-8 p.m. March 21. The other meeting will be held April 8 at Daybreak Community Center, 4544 W. Harvest Moon Drive in South Jordan, with a public information meeting from 6-7:30 p.m. and public comment meeting from 7:30-8:30 p.m.
Written comments can be sent to the Division of Water Quality, P.O. Box 144870, Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4870.
Questions about the project can be directed to environmental scientist Dan Hall at 801-536-4300.
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Balancing act: List of top work-from-home...
- Why small businesses want a higher minimum wage
- Utah among states with greatest urban sprawl
- Dave Ramsey says: Being debt-free beats...
- University of Utah launches community solar...
- Wellness programs grow more popular with...
- Harry Potter fans: Hogwarts is offering...
- How much did President Obama donate to... 51
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 46
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 18
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 17
- University of Utah launches community... 15
- Why small businesses want a higher... 9
- Harry Potter fans: Hogwarts is offering... 8
- Dave Ramsey says: Being debt-free beats... 6