PAUMA VALLEY, Calif. — Justin Keiley shot two-under-par to lead BYU to a second place standing after day one at the Triumph at Pauma Valley Monday.
BYU shot an opening round 289 (+5) and second round 287 (+3) to finish at eight-over-par through 36 holes. West Coast Conference foe San Francisico (+4) currently sits in first place, four strokes ahead of BYU. Third place UC Riverside sits 27 strokes behind the Cougars at 35-over-par.
Keiley made five birdies during the first round and finished with a one-over 72, before catching fire in the second round. Keiley made eagle on the first hole, followed by birdies on 4, 7 and 14 to card a three-under-par 68 in round two.
Finishing the first two rounds at two-under-par, Keiley stands in first place on the individual leaderboard, three strokes ahead of four San Francisco golfers who finished at one-over-par.
Senior Zac Blair continued his solid spring season during today's action at Pauma Valley Country Club, making five birdies and shooting back-to-back rounds of 72. Blair currently stands tied for sixth place at two-over-par.
Sophomore Devon Purser also contributed a consistent effort for the Cougars, making four birdies apiece during the first and second rounds. Purser shot 73 (+2) in the opening round and 72 (+1) in the second round to finish at three-over-par. He currently stands in eighth place.
Freshman Joe Parkinson added some strong play during the opening two rounds, going five-over-par through 36 holes. Parkinson made four birdies and shot a 72 (+1) on the opening 18 holes, followed by two birdies in a four-over-par (75) round two.
The Cougars will look to carry their momentum into tomorrow's third and final round with tee times set to start at 7:30 a.m. PDT.
1 Justin Keiley 72, 68, -2
T6 Zac Blair 72, 72, +2
8 Devon Purser 73, 72, +3
T10 Joe Parkinson 72, 75, +5
T28 Jordan Hammer 78, 78, +14
1 San Francisco, +4
2 Brigham Young, +8
3 UC Riverside, +35
4 British Columbia, +37
5 Bowling Green State, +40
6 George Washington University, +50
T7 University of Manitoba, +60
T7 Dominican (CA), +60
9 Army, +66
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a mythical...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- High school football: Riley Nelson hired as...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story priceless,...
- High school track: Ogden's Sarah Feeny breaks...
- Orem football player remains in...
- Considerable work, planning has gone... 71
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 57
- Utes football: No changes imminent for... 55
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 51
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A, 3A state... 49
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 47
- BYU football to receive 6-figure payout... 40