SALT LAKE CITY — A bill to establish a state-level earned income tax narrowly passed in the Utah House of Representatives on Monday evening, advancing to the Senate by a vote of 41-30.
HB197, sponsored by Rep. Eric Hutchings, R-Kearns, would create a Utah tax credit for certain people who work and have low wages. The federal government extends such a credit, which reduces the earners' tax burden. Some people also receive refunds.
Hutchings said earned-income tax credits reward the working poor.
"It is a policy that encourages self-reliance and individual effort," he said.
If a low-income family is working hard and doing everything it can "to pull out of a hole, we're going to drop in a ladder" to help, Hutchings said.
Rep. Jim Nielson, R-Bountiful, argued against the bill, noting the tax code is not "the proper way to deal with our social challenges and needs that people have."
The appropriation process would be a better approach, Nielson said.
Hutchings said that the tax credit would cost the state some $21.5 million and it is presently not funded in the Legislature's proposed budget.
But Hutchings said the legislation is a proven means to help low-income people improve their circumstances, something lawmakers need to consider given they have approved legislation aimed at breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty.
Conservatives support the concept of earned-income tax credits because they help working poor families "break that cycle," Hutchings said.
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now...
- One man electrocuted, 2 others injured in...
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- Utah Highway Patrol trooper shot multiple...
- 9 of the worst things you can do to your...
- Police identify man killed in I-80 rollover
- ‘Jackie & Ryan’ showcases beauty...
- Police working to identify boys who left...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 76
- Planned Parenthood draws support,... 71
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24
- Commissioner wants new trial as feds... 19
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now... 17
- Stolen identity: Congressman Jason... 12
- UHP locates owner of doghouse that... 12