SALT LAKE CITY — A bill to establish a state-level earned income tax narrowly passed in the Utah House of Representatives on Monday evening, advancing to the Senate by a vote of 41-30.
HB197, sponsored by Rep. Eric Hutchings, R-Kearns, would create a Utah tax credit for certain people who work and have low wages. The federal government extends such a credit, which reduces the earners' tax burden. Some people also receive refunds.
Hutchings said earned-income tax credits reward the working poor.
"It is a policy that encourages self-reliance and individual effort," he said.
If a low-income family is working hard and doing everything it can "to pull out of a hole, we're going to drop in a ladder" to help, Hutchings said.
Rep. Jim Nielson, R-Bountiful, argued against the bill, noting the tax code is not "the proper way to deal with our social challenges and needs that people have."
The appropriation process would be a better approach, Nielson said.
Hutchings said that the tax credit would cost the state some $21.5 million and it is presently not funded in the Legislature's proposed budget.
But Hutchings said the legislation is a proven means to help low-income people improve their circumstances, something lawmakers need to consider given they have approved legislation aimed at breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty.
Conservatives support the concept of earned-income tax credits because they help working poor families "break that cycle," Hutchings said.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 17
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14