SALT LAKE CITY — A bill to establish a state-level earned income tax narrowly passed in the Utah House of Representatives on Monday evening, advancing to the Senate by a vote of 41-30.
HB197, sponsored by Rep. Eric Hutchings, R-Kearns, would create a Utah tax credit for certain people who work and have low wages. The federal government extends such a credit, which reduces the earners' tax burden. Some people also receive refunds.
Hutchings said earned-income tax credits reward the working poor.
"It is a policy that encourages self-reliance and individual effort," he said.
If a low-income family is working hard and doing everything it can "to pull out of a hole, we're going to drop in a ladder" to help, Hutchings said.
Rep. Jim Nielson, R-Bountiful, argued against the bill, noting the tax code is not "the proper way to deal with our social challenges and needs that people have."
The appropriation process would be a better approach, Nielson said.
Hutchings said that the tax credit would cost the state some $21.5 million and it is presently not funded in the Legislature's proposed budget.
But Hutchings said the legislation is a proven means to help low-income people improve their circumstances, something lawmakers need to consider given they have approved legislation aimed at breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty.
Conservatives support the concept of earned-income tax credits because they help working poor families "break that cycle," Hutchings said.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19